DATA PROTECTION POLICY
8 September 2018
This Data Protection Policy (“Policy”) governs the collection, use and disclosure of personal data submitted to MOEY & YUEN, including through the webpages of www.mylawyers.sg
and explains how we collect and handle personal data of individuals and comply with the requirements of the Personal Data Protection Act 2012 of Singapore and its regulations (“PDPA”). In this Policy, “personal data” shall have the meaning ascribed to it in the PDPA.
By interacting with us, submitting information to us, or engaging our services, you agree and consent to MOEY & YUEN (“Firm”) as well as our service providers and third parties appointed by us on your behalf (collectively, “us”, “we” or “our”) collecting, using and disclosing your Personal Data in the manner set forth in this Policy.
1. We will collect, use or disclose personal data for the reasonable business purposes only if there is consent or deemed consent from the individual and information on such purposes have been notified. We may also collect, use or disclose personal data if it is required or authorised under applicable laws.
COLLECTION OF PERSONAL DATA
2. We collect personal data from clients, customers, business contacts, partners, personnel, contractors and other individuals. Such personal data may be provided to us in forms, face to face meetings, email messages, telephone conversations, through our website or provided by third parties. If any individuals contact us, we may keep a record of that contact.
3. We collect these personal data when it is necessary for business purposes or to meet the purposes for which the individuals have submitted the information.
4. We will only collect, hold, process, use, communicate and/or disclose such personal data, in accordance with this policy.
5. If any person is acting as an intermediary (“Intermediary”) or otherwise on behalf of a third-party individual (such as a friend, a colleague or an employee) the Intermediary undertakes that he or she is an authorised representative of such a third-party individual and has obtained all necessary consents for the collection, processing, use and disclosure by us of their personal data.
6. Because we are collecting the third-party individual’s data from the Intermediary, the Intermediary undertakes to make the third party individual aware of all matters listed in this policy, preferably by distributing a copy of this policy to them or referring them to our website.
USE OF PERSONAL DATA
7. We use personal data for the following purposes:
(a) to provide our services;
(b) to verify your identity;
(c) to respond to the individual’s request or for the purposes for which it was provided to us as stated (or was as obvious) at the time of collection;
(d) to maintain contact with clients and other contacts;
(e) to keep clients and other contacts informed of the services we offer or events we are holding which may be of interest to them;
(f) for general management and reporting purposes, such as invoicing and account management;
(g) for purposes related to employment of our personnel and providing internal services for our personnel;
(h) complying with any applicable law, regulations, codes of practice, guidelines or rules or to assist in law enforcement and investigations conducted by any governmental and/or regulatory authority;
(g) all other purposes related to our business.
8. The purposes listed above may continue to apply even in situations where your relationship with us has been terminated or altered in any way, for a reasonable period thereafter (including, where applicable, a period to enable us to enforce our rights under any contract with you).
ACCURACY OF PERSONAL DATA
9. We will make reasonable efforts to ensure that personal data collected by us or on our behalf is accurate and complete.
DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL DATA TO THIRD PARTIES
10. We do not disclose personal data to third parties unless we are required by law, or when we have the individual’s consent or deemed consent, or in cases where we have engaged third parties such as data intermediaries or subcontractors specifically to assist with our firm’s activities. All such third parties whom we engage will be bound contractually to keep all information confidential.
ACCESS TO AND CORRECTION OF PERSONAL DATA
11. Upon request, we will provide the individual with access to their personal data or other appropriate information on their personal data in accordance with the requirements of the PDPA.
12. Upon request, we will correct an error or omission in the individual’s personal data that is in our possession or control in accordance with the requirements of the PDPA.
13. We may charge for a request for access in accordance with the requirements of the PDPA.
WITHDRAWAL OF CONSENT
14. Upon reasonable notice being given by the individual of the withdrawal of any consent given or deemed to have been given in respect of our collection, use or disclosure of his or her personal data, we will inform the individual of the likely consequences of withdrawing his consent. We will cease collecting, using, or disclosing such personal data unless it is required or authorised under applicable laws.
SECURITY AND PROTECTION OF PERSONAL DATA
15. To safeguard your personal data from unauthorised access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification, disposal or similar risks, we have introduced appropriate administrative, physical and technical measures to secure all storage and transmission of personal data by us. Whilst no method of transmission over the internet or method of electronic storage is completely secure, we strive to protect the security of your information and will regularly review and enhance our information security measures.
RETENTION OF PERSONAL DATA
16. We will cease to retain personal data as soon as it is reasonable to assume that the purpose for collection of such personal data is no longer being served by such retention, and such retention is no longer necessary for legal or business purposes.
DATA PROTECTION OFFICER
17. If an individual believes that information that we hold about him or her is incorrect or out of date, or if an individual has concerns or queries about how we are handing his or her personal data, or any problem or complaint about such matters, please contact our Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org
18. We reserve the right to modify or amend this Policy at any time. The effective date will be displayed at the beginning of this Policy.